Updated May 7, 2020
What We Do
- We collect clickstream information and basic, technical information, such as browser type, from Visitors -- those who visit the Site but who do not register.
- We use a limited number of select service providers to perform work on our behalf. We may disclose personal information to these service providers, or they may collect personal information, as necessary for the performance of their services. They are permitted to use personal information only for the purpose of providing their services or at an aggregate level. Information regarding such service providers, including the types of data processed, can be found at the following link, which is updated periodically: https://www.polleverywhere.com/third-party-service-providers.
- When Visitors or Users participate in our polling services, we obtain the individual’s’ mobile phone number provided to us in connection with SMS responses, the device type and operating system, and the poll responses. We use this information to facilitate individuals’ participation in polls.
- In some cases, you may be able to purchase services from us, in which case we’ll also collect payment card information from you.
- In addition to providing polling services directly to individuals, Poll Everywhere also has business customers, such as employers or companies that organize conferences. When our business customers conduct polls using Poll Everywhere software, they may choose to collect additional information about poll participants. We require our business customers to explain their privacy practices to poll participants.
- We may use the information we have about you to offer you products and services that we believe may be of interest to you. We may offer these products and services in conjunction with our business and marketing partners. You may direct us not to use or share your information by registering with our opt-out form.
- If you registered with Poll Everywhere using an email address based on a domain owned by your company or organization (e.g., JohnDoe@AcmeCorp.com), we may share the fact of your registration with other users registered with an email address using the domain of the same company or organization and its affiliates to facilitate collaboration with your business colleagues.
- If you provide your email, we automatically add it to our email list for periodic announcements. You may opt out and unsubscribe at any time using the “unsubscribe” links in our emails, or the checkbox next to your email address on your Settings page.
Your Privacy Matters
Poll Everywhere is committed to protecting the privacy of young children, and therefore does not knowingly collect or maintain personally identifiable information on the Site or Service from persons under 13 years of age, except in compliance with the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act of 1998 ("COPPA"). By providing any personal information to Poll Everywhere or otherwise using the Service, all Visitors and Users, including without limitation individuals in the European Union, must acknowledge and hereby unambiguously consent to the transfer to, collection and processing of such information in the United States. You may not use the Service if you do not agree to such transfer to, collection, and processing of your personal information in the United States.
Your California Privacy Rights
If you are a California resident, you may request that we provide to you (i) a list of the categories of personal information about you that Poll Everywhere has disclosed to third parties for the third parties’ direct marketing purposes during the calendar year preceding your request, (ii) the names and addresses of such third parties, and (iii) if the nature of the third parties’ business cannot reasonably be determined from their names, examples of the products or services marketed, if known to Poll Everywhere, sufficient to give you a reasonable indication of the nature of the third parties’ business. To submit your request, please email with the subject line “California Privacy” and your request in the body of your email.
Compliance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (“FERPA”)
FERPA protects personally identifiable information contained in students’ education records from unauthorized use or disclosure. If you are an educational institution, or a teacher or school official at an educational institution, that is required to comply with FERPA, we will only use any education records (as defined under FERPA) that you may make available to Poll Everywhere for the purpose of providing the Services to you. We will never share or sell FERPA-protected information, or use it for any other purpose, except as otherwise directed or permitted by you. If a parent or eligible student requests access to any education records that are hosted on our servers, we will help facilitate such access.
EU-U.S. and Swiss-U.S. Privacy Shield and the GDPR
What information does Poll Everywhere collect from Visitors?
Poll Everywhere only collects technical information, such as device and browser type, from Visitors to the Site or mobile Site. Visitors commonly chose to provide personal information, however, as part of using our service, such as answering a poll that asks for a Visitor’s name. In addition, when Visitors participate in polls using a mobile device, the poll response includes the Visitor’s mobile phone number.
What information does Poll Everywhere collect from Users?
To register to use some parts of the Service, you must provide a full name and email address. To purchase service, we also require your payment information. Poll Everywhere only collects this personal information if a Visitor chooses to register with the Service to become a User. We may collect information related to how you logged in (e.g., through a mobile app or a browser) so we can alert you to new features about the Service.
Poll Everywhere may use your registration information to contact you to: deliver the Service and improve our Site, Service, features and content, and provide customer service; administer and enable your use, enjoyment and navigation of our Site, Service, and mobile Site; better understand your needs and interests; fulfill requests you make; and personalize your experience.
How does Poll Everywhere collect information from Visitors or Users?
Poll Everywhere may collect non-personal information during your visit to the Site or mobile Site through our automatic data collection tools, which may include “cookies” and other commonly used technologies.
A cookie is a small piece of data stored by a user’s browser that contains session information to identify you for access purposes as you navigate Poll Everywhere. Cookies are required to use our service.
When you visit our Site, ad networks and other parties may collect information about your online activities over time and across different websites. We are not responsible for the privacy practices of these ad networks and other parties. Because there is not yet a consensus on how companies should respond to web browser-based or other do-not-track (“DNT”) mechanisms, we do not respond to web browser-based DNT signals at this time.
Some of our Services, such as mobile applications, may collect geo-location data to provide location-related functionality. We may link location data to other information we have collected about you. You may stop sharing your location data by adjusting your mobile device’s location services settings. For instruction on changing the relevant settings, please contact your service provider or device manufacturer.
Does Poll Everywhere create user profiles of everyone who visits the Site?
What other parties can see me on Poll Everywhere?
As explained above, Poll Everywhere uses a select number of service providers to help facilitate our Service. We may employ independent companies or other third parties and individuals to help us provide, facilitate or improve our Service (such as customer service support). They are permitted to use data only for the purpose of performing services on our behalf or at an aggregate level. Notable third party services you should be aware of include Facebook and their “like” button, and web analytics providers like Google Analytics.
Some features may expose your presence on the service. For example, if you are interacting with a poll from a presenter, they can see your responses. If you give them permission, they can also associate your responses with your name and email address.
How does polling work for Poll Everywhere’s business customers?
In addition to providing polling services directly to individuals, we also have business customers, such as employers or companies that organize conferences. When our business customers conduct polls using our software, we share participants’ information with the customers. Business customers may configure the polling software to collect additional information about poll participants. We require our business customers to explain their privacy practices to poll participants.
Is there an age restriction for joining Poll Everywhere?
Poll Everywhere is committed to protecting the privacy of young children, and therefore does not knowingly collect or maintain personally identifiable information on the Site or Service from persons under 13 years of age, except in compliance with the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act of 1998 (‘COPPA’). Accordingly, children under the age of 13 may only use the Site or the Service with the permission and supervision of their parents. Additionally, teachers and schools seeking to use the Site or Service in the classroom with children under 13 years of age are required to obtain the express consent of such children’s parents in compliance with COPPA, prior to permitting such children to access or use the Site or Service.
Can I invite others to join Poll Everywhere?
Yes. If you’d like to do that, we will ask you for the individual’s email address for the sole purpose of inviting them to the Service. They are not added to our email list unless they register. All marketing communications from Poll Everywhere contain a link allowing recipients to unsubscribe from our mailing list.
When might Poll Everywhere be required to disclose my personal information?
Where your personal information has been requested by any governmental entity or other third party pursuant to subpoena or similar legal process, we will notify you as quickly as practicable before providing any such information, unless we are legally prohibited from doing so or we believe in good faith that disclosure is or may be necessary to protect life, avoid serious physical injury or property loss or damage, or to prevent or investigate an ongoing crime.
What practices does Poll Everywhere follow to secure my information?
The security of your personal information is important to us. We follow standard industry practices to protect personal information, both during transmission and once we receive it.
Nevertheless, no method of transmission over the Internet or electronic storage is 100% secure. Therefore, we cannot guarantee its absolute security. If we discover a security incident that compromises your personal information, we will let you know about it, in accordance with applicable law.
What about the practices of other websites linked to the Site or Service?
How does Poll Everywhere help prevent outside parties from eavesdropping on me?
Poll Everywhere uses SSL encryption and secure cookies to help prevent others from eavesdropping on you when you transfer personal information to Poll Everywhere. All pages and APIs involving the exchange of passwords or personal information are safeguarded this way. Please note that Poll Everywhere cannot guarantee that your ISP is not tracking your visits to Poll Everywhere and other sites, whether you are on our Site, the mobile Site, or our mobile application.
Where can I send questions, comments or suggestions about Poll Everywhere's privacy practices?
Please contact us at or via mail at:
Poll Everywhere, Inc. Attn: Legal Department 639 Howard St San Francisco CA 94105
PLEASE DO NOT SEND ANY SENSITIVE INFORMATION TO US VIA UNENCRYPTED EMAIL. Also, please note that we will need to verify and authenticate any emailed requests for access or changes to your personal or account information.